Saturday, October 29, 2011

Reversible Me


Years ago, when I was a child, I remember getting a reversible jacket to wear to school. I know my mom thought it was great, because she got two jackets for the price of one, but I loved it because I could turn it inside out, and it would be just as cool and impressive as the other way around. Okay cool and impressive never described my clothing as a child, but I sure thought it was cool.

But what if we could get the same mileage out of our humanity, as I did with that jacket of so many years ago? What if, we could turn ourselves inside out, and still impress others with both sides of our life; and not just the one they’re used to seeing? Of which the very idea of exposing our inner selves to others make many people turn and run away.

I understand why many people would feel that way, because really, shouldn’t we all have those internal gutsy vulnerable places where no one but the Holy God, me, myself and I are allowed to go? Well maybe not: for though we all may feel that way, it may not be for our collective and individual best.

You see, when we are able and willing to reverse ourselves and become what we really are, so as to destroy the secret “you” that lives behind that epidermal wall and reveal our true colors to the world around us, something amazing happens. It’s called freedom.

That’s right freedom. But the problem is, we like our freedom, but only in limited and censored amounts. In other words, “Thanks brother for sharing… just don’t share too much.” Or how about this one, we bump into someone and say; “How’s it going?” And they actually begin to tell you. Wow have you ever been in that situation, I know I have. And even worse yet, I’ve wished that I had the courage at times to actually tell someone, “Well to be honest, my stomach aches right now, I’ve had diarrhea recently, and my dog just died and I feel like jumping off a bridge… And you?”

Chances are, a Reversible Me will never come into fashion, but if it ever did, we just might be a whole lot healthier, honest and definitely clear as to whom people really are and where they stand. A Reversible Me, might cost us something, but in the end the benefits will be great!

Psalm 32:2 "Yes, what joy for those whose record the Lord has cleared of guilt, whose lives are lived in complete honesty!" (NLT)

Psalm 51:6 "But you desire honesty from the womb, teaching me wisdom even there." (NLT)

Jeremiah 5:3 "Lord, you are searching for honesty. You struck your people, but they paid no attention. You crushed them, but they refused to be corrected. They are determined, with faces set like stone; they have refused to repent." (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment