Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Book is Just a Book


Right? Well, maybe not. A book may represent many different things to many people. For some, it’s a sentence to deep and difficult learning. For others, it’s an ecstatic escape to another world or a better inner place.
For some, it represents work and tireless efforts at self-advance. For others its leisure time on a beach in south Florida. But regardless of how we use books, they represent one thing; a place where we’ve not been before. That’s right. Regardless of how familiar we are with the content of such pages, each letter, word, or sentence, stands alone as invisible territory we’ve never trod.

We can say that because, even information quoted verbatim, that many may be familiar with, is used to sand bag the authors own thoughts. So when we consider the “written word” of myriads of authors, we must consider that writing is a compilation of experiences and research both combined to make a slightly different path than trod before. Understand?

As for me, I am an excruciatingly slow reader, but concepts stick. Albeit, I may be funny from time to time, I cannot for the life of me remember jokes, but lofty thoughts have a way of sticking with me. I’m no better or worse than anyone else, I just tend to mock myself and the human animal; and that makes for some very spontaneous fun as I consider our way of being.

The reason I say A Book is Just a Book, is because books, or anything else in life are only as valuable as the reader / user deems them. Do you understand what I just wrote?

Our own personal quests, in life, lead us to find answers and assistance. Whether it’s the new piece of scaffolding I purchased for the last job I did, or the twenty dollar book on leadership or the Holy Spirit, I purchased to help me walk in greater effectiveness and communication, books, like proper tools, help us get the job done better.

So, for the person that shy’s away from literature, my heart goes out to you. For in a spirit of unwillingness to bring other views into our lives, we demonstrate PRIDE. We demonstrate our arrogance that believes we alone have the answers to what we seek. Not to mention we demonstrate abject fear that other opinions may taint our thinking. And they might, depending on our level of grounded faith in any one given subject.

May God help us to understand that there is wisdom in the counsel of many. And the many, includes more views than we could personally emit from our own little brains.

Finally, keep in mind, I’m not saying that any human ideas surpass that of God or His Word and Spirit, but what I am saying is, the more “raw” material we have within us, the better equipped we are for the Father to use us.

I still don’t know what to do with my books. Yet I must keep in mind; A Book is Just a Book.

Or is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment