Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Suitable Idols


I’ve never fancied myself as an idolater. As a matter of fact, I truly love God – the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. I’ve never wanted nor have I allowed anything to be set before or above my God. Or at least that’s what I’ve always thought.

Most of us have so many little rituals and habits and things we do with our lives, that if any suggestion would be made that they might be dangerous; just might produce outrage if not outright fisticuffs. And why? Because most of us pick and choose our idols so as not to offend ourselves or those we want to impress. Oh you may disagree, but hear me out.

How much time do you spend on the internet? How much time do you spend watching TV? How much time do you spend reading? Or exercising? Or playing video games? Or working for that matter? I know this may sound legalistic (and it may be), but how much time does God garner of your waking hours?

Yeah I get what you’re thinking. “Hey… I’ve got a life you know!” “I can’t always be cloister away somewhere humming and thinking about God.” And for that I would say yes, I agree. But have you actually ever considered how you spend your life? I mean as to how you budget the life God’s given you, so as to please Him and put Him first? Sorry, my bet’s on your idols.

I say that because in the name of noble pursuits and just plain living – it’s easy to ignore God and adore a life that’s just plain full of Suitable Idols. Please understand that I too am guilty as the rest of you, and I get Romans 8:1 so I’m not going to bed scared tonight, but seriously, for the average Joe (sorry to all my friends named Joe), we interface far more with life than with the Life. Do you get what I mean?

And therein lays the real problem, because life in of itself is not a sin, we dive right in and determine to make the most of everyday. All the while God is patiently waiting for us to recognize that our Suitable Idols are actually not. Oh wait, this doesn’t count for all my friends in the ministry – NOT.

Of all people we ministers should be devoted to the demolition of anything and everything that even remotely usurps the proper place of God in our lives.

Maybe you think I’m just sleepwalking and when I wake up your conviction will be gone, but guess again. This isn’t a dream and I’m not sleepwalking and WE HAVE TROUBLE WITH OUR IDOLS. And that trouble is we’ve made them suitable. We’ve dressed them up in everyday clothes and noble aspirations of work ethic and devoted religious lingo and activity; all at the expense of missing the thing that matters most; a deep and personal abiding relationship with God.

So the next time you see some pagan doing something you think is idol worship; check your weapon at the door, because you may be packing something far more dangerous; a Suitable Idol.

No comments:

Post a Comment