Saturday, June 4, 2011

Best Worship Song Set


One of the joys and burdens of my small church pastorate is not only do I teach and preach, but I also lead worship. A few years ago, we did have a rag tag Salvation Army type ensemble, but my hopes for clarity and anointing drove that rattle trap elsewhere. So within a week’s time I was thrown into creating sets of songs that our people could worship with.

Mind you, I’m not a musician, nor do I play one on TV, but I love to worship the Lord in song and lyric. So guess what? I became the music guy and the worship leader. I’m okay with that, to the extent that I’ve always lived and led from the heart, and to me, that’s what worship IS all about; my heart interfacing with God’s.

So, the first thing I did was create overhead transparencies to match a compact disc I burned with a series of songs in close key proximity. Then it evolved into DVD production. We got a video projector and I purchased Pinnacle Studio for my PC and started making worship DVD’s. The music and the lyrics were perfectly synced so no one individual was responsible for clicking the power point slides. Lord I hate it when the sound booth guy can’t seem to keep up with the next slide… especially on a new song.

Anyway, between myself and my son Andrew, we compiled a huge stack of DVD’s for use in our modest, but heart felt worship times. Now the problem with this method is twofold: 1) if the Spirit moves there’s little room for improvising under His guidance; and 2) the arduous task of selecting and creating the actual DVD; that’s about a 4 to 8 hour process. Assuming one is trying to listen to the Holy Ghost in the construction process.

No sympathy is warranted, but at please understand; the better or best worship leaders go where the money or fame resides. All of which is NOT the REMEDY church in Altoona, Iowa.

So here I am. Another Saturday afternoon, with my PC and all the CD’s I own loaded on the hard drive, trying to find a compilation of songs that are A) led from the Father’s heart and B) perfectly blended into a 22 minute set, so as to not offend the seeker, yet affordably touching to the believer. So what are you doing with your Saturday?

I am grateful for technology, but I’m resentful to some degree that the best artists and worshipers are on the dole when it comes to motivation for ministry. I mean really, is the REMEDY church that bad? Are the few that attend that worldly that they don’t deserve a worship leader who genuinely knows the path to His presence? Maybe it’s just sour grapes, but Lord I wish I had someone who was devoted and passionate to the cause and lifestyle of worship that wasn’t in it for the fame or money. It would lessen my load on a weekly basis.

Okay; enough of my whining. I’ve got to get these songs together.

So what IS God looking for in the heart of a worshiper? Maybe you could post a reply or head over to Facebook and let me know. I guess we “have not” because we “ask not”. Would that be right?

PS: I Googled best worship songs and the links led me to Wal-Mart.Com. Who’da thunk?

No comments:

Post a Comment