Monday, April 4, 2011

See me, Feel me, Touch me, Heal me


Not sure exactly what the year was, but I remember as a teenager going to the Forum IV theater and seeing the rock opera “Tommy” by infamous rock group, The Who. I didn’t quite get it at that time, and still don’t get it all right now, but part of the lyrics from the “Christmas” song stick in my mind.

See me, feel me, touch me, heal me.” If I didn’t know better, I’d think that was some quote from the New Testament from the heart of a deaf, dumb, and blind beggar reaching out to the Son of David to have mercy on him. Yet it was not.

On the contrary, it was from a secular rock opera that rarely if ever is equated to biblical theology or doctrine. But the funny thing is these words are all too common in the hearts of the hurting everywhere in the world; including your town, and your church here in America.

So let me ask you? How many people have we collectively led into liberty, so as to answer the request of the damned; the request of the hurting and lost? I ask those questions because wherever I go, I run into people who are saying those same words, albeit in a benign way, they are still saying it by their life actions.

So here is my thought: have you ever “felt” those above words deep in your heart when some need arose in your life? Oh yes, we know that God is the only one who can meet that deep seated need, but why is it that far too many people (even believers) are looking to others, to human resource, to external forces to slake their thirsty question couched in these words?

If you struggle to believe what I’m proposing, ask yourself this question: Have you ever felt these words deep in your soul? If so, where did you go for satisfaction and what process did you use to find answers? And if you found answers, did THE FEELINGS of these words disappear, or have they surfaced again?

I’ll let it go for now, but I know there have been many times in a crowded room that I’ve felt those words deep in my soul, and have found myself at an auspicious altar of grace seeking consolation, yet rising to still need something beyond the accepted and prescribed historic process of the altar.

Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment