Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Loosing Interest


They say the loss of interest in everyday activities is one of the symptoms of depression, along with a myriad of other symptoms. But what if the experience of loosing interest in the things of this world is less about depression than it is inspiration?

That’s right, inspiration! Inspiration that little else counts except for my relationship with Jesus. Little else counts if there is any distance between me and my Lord. Little else counts when it comes to the final moments of a life. Little else counts when it comes to genuine heart felt joy and deep soul comfort.

For my experience bears witness of this; nothing satisfies like a desperate dependency upon God for my daily living. Jesus said; “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:21 NIV)

I find it amusing and tragic at the same time that we spend the bulk of our lives amassing hoards of stuff that rarely if ever satisfies us. I can say that because, if stuff satisfied, then a few strategically acquired things in life would be all we need. But some how many of us have double garages (and triple garages) that we can barely get one of our two or three vehicles into, because it’s burgeoning with stuff that we really don’t need for our survival, let along genuine satisfaction. But somewhere along the line we believe bigger is better and more is somehow meaningful.

I have a dear friend who purchased a very large home during the real estate bubble; thinking that a strategic flip in a few years would garner him lots of cash for the trouble of living in a beautiful mansion for a few years.

But within the first month my friend realized the unexpected. His 5,000 plus square foot dream (flip) home was costing him almost fifteen hundred dollars a month in utilities alone. I’m not sure why they didn’t factor utilities into the equation of mansion ownership, but they must not have. Because the utility bill nearly took their breath away. Not to mention the nearly six thousand dollar per month mortgage payment.

I simply cannot imagine that arena of lifestyle. But I further cannot imagine being so enamored with the things of this world (even with a 6 figure income) that I would be willing to spend that kind of money on gas and electric to power my home.

I know it may sound like I’m bashing my friend, but I’m not. I’m simply stating the obvious. Until we lose interest in the things of this world, to the degree where the Kingdom of God alone consumes our hearts and lives, we will only be chasing after the wind.

Solomon reminds us of this very fact. “I thought in my heart, ‘Come now, I will test you with pleasure to find out what is good.’ But that also proved to be meaningless.” (Ecclesiastes 2:1 NIV)

What proved to be meaningless? Stuff… lots of stuff. And more stuff and pleasure… and more pleasure and more stuff. And what was the end result?

“Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.” (Ecclesiastes 2:11 NIV)

The end result IS meaningless and the gains are nothing.

So the next time you begin to lose interest in things once thought essential for happiness and contentment in life, THANK GOD. Because maybe, just maybe, He is spoiling your desire for the things of this earth so that you will grow in your love and dependency upon Him alone.

In closing; keep in mind John the Baptists telling words regarding even our own worth in the eyes of self and others. “He must increase, but I must decrease.” (John 3:30 KJV) To me that says it all.

Wishing each of you decrease of self and the loss of interest in anything other than the Kingdom of God! Agape.

No comments:

Post a Comment