Sunday, April 4, 2010

Peeps, Chocolate Bunnies or the Bloody Cross


I suppose I’ve pondered many of the aspects of this particular weekend, but only in the last 24 hours have I had these particular thoughts on the subject.

Around the globe people are joining together to celebrate Easter Sunday or Resurrection Sunday as some call it, and that’s fine. Really, I mean it; it’s all well and good that we celebrate the fact that Jesus rose from the dead. And even that He provided the promise and process for us to experience eternal life, but the Resurrection is meaningless and maybe even a tortuous insult IF ones sins are not dealt with.

Do you know why Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden of Eden? It was not solely because they disobeyed God and ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, but it was because God in His infinite wisdom and mercy did not want humanity to live eternally with the painful and destructive weight and affects of their sin.

That’s right; had God not cut off their access to the tree of life, humanity could have lived indefinitely with the horrific consequences of their sin, and that would not be an expression of wisdom or mercy on God’s part if He were to have allowed that condition to continue unabated.

So the real crux of the matter, as far as I’m concerned; Good Friday IS the Key. For if Jesus had not become the Lamb led to the slaughter for my sins, my pain, my confusion, my darkness and my pride, resurrection would have been A) impossible and B) eternally painful and incomplete.

Hey, who wants to live forever with the weight of their sins and brokenness? I sure don’t and my prayer is that you don’t want that either.

So the next time you have scrumptious thoughts of Peeps and chocolate Easter bunnies stop yourself. Easter is far more than new clothes, early breakfast services, egg hunts and an empty tomb made of papier-mâché. Easter is the bonus and reward for a Christ who died for my sins and yours. May we NEVER forget that fact.

Ecce Signum He Lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment