Saturday, March 21, 2009

Parting of Company


In the spring of 2008 acclaimed author and theologian Dr. J.I. Packer, handed in his license from the Bishop of New Westminster. Not long before that, the church of which Packer attends, St. John's Shaughnessy Anglican church in Vancouver, voted to leave the Anglican Church of Canada because the St. John's church believed that the ACC is no longer teaching in accordance with scripture. The church later joined the Anglican Province of the Southern Cone of America.

What in the world does that have to do with me? Nothing much, but it is an interesting bit of religious trivia that is indicative of the shifts that take place in the name of doctrinal purity (or the lack thereof). Churches and people from around the world, in the name of aligning more perfectly with scripture move and shift at almost regular intervals. But why?

My thoughts on the subject: Because humans tend to move away from God, even the once best of redeemed communities of faith may also do the same; all in the name of Christian liberties and modern scriptural interpretation – namely religious relativism and the quest for cultural relevancy. All of which should bring about an apostolic chagrin to those of us who are leaders in the Church.

I’ve blogged about many things. I have many complaints and convoluted views. But the one thing that I’m most concerned with is biblical integrity, literacy and lifestyle. Frankly I don’t give a rip what everyone else is doing, what does the Bible have to say about it? If the Bible is silent, maybe I should be? If the Bible is clear about something, maybe I should be? That seems fundamental to me. Hmmm… does that make me a fundamentalist? I never really did like Jerry Falwell. I was a Democrat in the 1980’s so he would have hated me. But you’ve got to give him credit for being tenacious in his values.

If and when we find ourselves in opposition to the scripture may we take heed and repent. May we once again find common ground with the Apostles and Jesus; regardless of who we may offend!

Often a Parting of Company is necessary for the purity of ones faith. Is there someone or some church you need to Part Company with, in the name of doctrinal purity and faith?

Last thought: Most people in America don’t leave churches over doctrine. They’re usually just ticked off and hurt about something. I can understand that and I hope to be able to help people like that. But, oh that more people would leave churches over impurity in the pulpit and the lack of biblical core values in the congregation. That is worth a Parting of Company.

Love and Blessings… now go read Packer. You’ll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment